One of the main reasons why all drivers are encouraged to practice safe driving and refrain from distraction and reckless behavior is because you aren’t the only person driving on the roadway. You have citizens who are sharing the road with you majority of the time and you aren’t aware of who you are driving next to. Some other uncertainties include:
- How many people are in each vehicle?
- If there are children present in the car.
- If a driver next to you is texting or engaging in behavior that is distracting them from the road. Many accident attorneys in Phoenix, AZ take on cases where a driver lost a loved one simply because the other motorist wasn’t paying attention to their surroundings or their driving.
- If there is an expecting mother in the car or truck in either lane next to you.
The point is, all drivers need to be on high alert and exercise caution to avoid engaging in an accident or causing one. You want to possess the ability to stop if traffic comes to a halt or maneuver your vehicle out of harm’s way if you foresee an accident occurring. The best and most efficient way to avoid any type of roadway accident, whether you are a driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist is to be cognizant of your driving and those around you.
Why Did the Accident in Arizona Occur?
The Arizona Republic highlighted the story on their news site on April 9th and pointed out that the incident transpired early afternoon, just before 1:30 p.m. It was a three-car collision that occurred on I-17 near Camelback Road, and one of the vehicles, a minivan, was rear-ended. Bystanders had begun helping one of the driver’s children ages 14,8, and 3 out of their vehicle before the Phoenix Fire Department arrived.
The 30-year old mother of the three children, who was also expecting, was trapped behind the steering wheel of the mini-van. It took firefighters 15 minutes to extricate the woman who then had to be transported to a nearby hospital. The woman was forced to undergo an emergency cesarean delivery. Sadly, just a few days later, it was reported that the newborn did not survive the accident.
When a person loses a loved one in an accident and it wasn’t necessarily their fault, it is vital they speak with a skilled accident lawyer in Phoenix, AZ as they could file suit against the negligent party.
According to the news report, the mother had suffered from broken bones in both legs and one arm. The fire department stated that she was in critical condition, however, her children’s injuries were said to have not been life-threatening aside from the newborn. No further details were provided regarding how and why the accident occurred but an ongoing criminal investigation is still being conducted.
How Can I Prevent a Rear- End Accident?
Wheels.ca highlights some ways you and your family can prevent rear-end collisions and a few are provided below.
- Take a look at traffic father up the road. If you see brake lights it may be a good idea for you to begin slowing down.
- Check your mirrors as often as you can.
- Focus on your driving.
- Avoid rushing up to a stop sign or red light.