New Hope, Ohio, Passenger Suffers Fatal Injuries in Accident on U.S. 35

All victims of a car accident need to file their accident claim within two years of getting into their accident in Alabama. When a person follows this statute of limitations, they significantly increase their chances of getting a fair amount of compensation for the damages they suffered.

When deciding to file a legal complaint against an officer, a person should first get in touch with a qualified accident lawyer. An accident attorney who has dealt with similar accident cases in the past can help a person through the entire car settlement process, starting from first filing their complaint to presenting the required evidence in court.

It is important to note that a person must report the car accident to the Alabama Department of Safety (DPS) within 30 days if any injuries or deaths were caused by the collision or if the property damage was more than $250. Since Alabama is an ‘at-fault’ state, the driver who is found guilty of causing the accident will be liable to cover the damage through their insurance company.

What should I do right after getting into a car accident?

After a person gets over the initial shock of the collision, they should contact the police immediately and exchange contact information with the other driver. They should also try to take photographs and make note of the traffic and weather conditions at the time of the accident.

Once the formalities are out of the way, a person should contact their attorney to decide which route they should pursue to get their settlement. They have the choice of filing a claim with their insurer, filing a complaint with the other driver’s insurer, or going forward with a lawsuit against the driver who is at fault. Every situation is different, and a legal representative can guide a person on the best route of action depending on the details of their specific case.

In many cases, the victim of an accident will choose to file a claim with either of the insurance companies. When they pick this route, professional adjusters will evaluate the damage and then give a person an initial settlement offer. Under no circumstances is a victim obligated to accept this initial offer. They can discuss things with their legal representative and give counteroffers until a fair amount is finally agreed upon.

In Alabama, a person can claim both economic and non-economic damages. This means they can get compensated for all their tangible losses, such as their medical bills, and the damage done to their vehicle, and also for other losses that are harder to measure such as the pain and suffering they experienced.