A car crash in Boise County claimed the life of a Meridian woman and sent three others to a Boise hospital. Just after 5 p.m. Sunday, a driver in a pickup truck with four passengers was heading south on State Highway 55 when the vehicle went off the road just south of Banks and hit a tree near milepost 74, according to Idaho State Police. One victim was flown to Boise’s Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center while the driver and another child were taken by ambulance. A 48-year-old woman named Katherine Fletcher died at the scene. The highway was blocked for several hours to investigate the crash.
Experienced accident lawyers in Idaho can effectively address an accident claim toward a court award, or an insurance settlement that will compensate victims for their losses. Accidents were the fourth leading cause of death in Idaho in 2018 with 248 of those deaths caused by motor vehicle accidents.
Idaho is a “fault,” state with regard to auto accidents, and requires drivers to carry a minimum amount of property damage and liability auto insurance. The State of Idaho follows the modified comparative negligence rule, meaning that an individual can file a car accident claim against the other driver, even if they share blame for the accident. There is a two year time period to file a suit after an motor vehicle accident in Idaho, although there are some exceptions to this timeline. An accident attorney can outline those variations based on the particulars of a case.
A wrongful death legal action is a particular type of lawsuit that is brought by loved ones of someone who dies because of the negligent, reckless, or deliberate act of someone. Damages in these lawsuits can include:
- Medical bills and burial expenses
- Compensation for lost wages
- Compensation for the pain and suffering
- Punitive damages that are intended to punish the person who caused the death.
- Economic damages address present and future loss of earnings, medical bills, future medical care, household expenses and
- Non-economic damages address pain and suffering, mental anguish and loss of consortium or companionship.
- Punitive damages may be awarded against negligent acts that leave an accident victim with injury and other losses, but they are limited..
Seek legal counsel.
Accident victims in Idaho can minimize apprehension by hiring an experienced accident attorney at the Law Offices of Montgomery Dowdle, who can objectively speak on their behalf in a courtroom, or against an insurance company’s legal team and track agency and court filing timelines toward a swift and fair monetary settlement .
13965 W. Chinden Blvd.
Boise, Idaho 83713