Little Rock, AR- An Arkansas police officer was involved in a crash that left one person dead and two others injured. The crash, which took place on September 23, 2017, raises the question: Can accident victims seek compensation if an officer is responsible for their crash?
Officer Involved Fatality in Arkansas
KATV reports that accident took place around 1:00 a.m. on Highway 100 in Maumelle. The TV station said a Maumelle police officer was responding to a call for assistance when he struck a Jeep carrying three passengers.
The 21-year-old man driving the Jeep was killed and two passengers were critically injured. The police officer injured both legs.
According to reports, the Jeep was traveling south in the northbound lanes.
The accident is still under investigation.
Do I Face Challenges When Recovering Compensation from the Government?
The above accident was unintentional, but that doesn’t change the victims’ suffering and won’t keep them from amassing costly medical bills. It’s natural for accident victims to wonder if they can seek compensation from the parties responsible for their injuries or the death of a loved one.
Generally speaking, state and city governments in Arkansas have “sovereign immunity” which says they cannot be sued for an accident. However, there is an exception to the rule if an agent of the government was acting negligently, but the amount a victim can recover is limited to the amount of liability insurance each entity carries for a specific type of harm. All government agencies in Arkansas are required to carry car insurance, so it is possible for victims to file an injury lawsuit against a city or state agency.
If you want to pursue your case, you must file your claim with the Arkansas Claims Commission. You can find forms and additional information on their website.

Consult with an Accident Attorney in Arkansas
Each city, county or state agency can develop their own methods of resolving personal injury or wrongful death claims, so it’s important you turn to a local attorney for advice. USAttorneys has an accomplished team of accident lawyers in Little Rock waiting to assist you with your claim. We recommend you arrange a consultation and get an expert’s help with your claim against the government.
You can seek damages for your medical expenses, emotional distress, loss of wages and wrongful death. If the employee’s actions are considered egregious, the negligent city, county or state agency may be ordered to pay punitive damages. One of our compassionate and knowledgeable attorneys can tell you the value of your claim and your best options for recovering the maximum amount allowed by law.
Fill out a short form on our contact page, and we’ll have an attorney contact you. Our mission is to help you find the best legal representation in Little Rock.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.