I caused a drunk driving accident in the city of Little Rock. What are my penalties?
If you were the cause of a drunk driving accident and there was alcohol involved, you are likely looking at being charged with several different penalties. One of the consequences you will be faced with given that it can be proven you were drunk includes criminal charges for DUI. DUI charges will vary based on your age and BAC level as well as how serious the accident was.
For instance, if you are under the age of 21, you cannot have more than 0.02 % of alcohol present in your blood. If you are over the age of 21, the BAC limit increases to 0.08%, and if you are a commercial driver, the BAC limit is 0.04%. If an officer has evidence that can prove your BAC level was at or above these levels, you are at risk of being convicted for breaking the law.
The next type of penalty you are looking at is for the cause of the accident. Some things to consider include:
- Was anyone injured?
- Did the accident cause property damage?
- Did the accident result in a death?
- Do you have adequate insurance coverage?
The answers to these questions are going to play a vital role in how you are charged and what penalties are going to be pinned against you. The current penalties that stand for DUI in Little Rock include:
- Having your license suspended. The Department of Finance and Administration is where these penalties come from and vary based on the number of offenses you have been convicted of. For example, if this is your first DUI offense, you could lose your driving privileges for up to six months. If it is your second offense, your license could be suspended for two years. The best way to become more informed on what your penalties are for causing a drunk driving accident is to speak with a licensed and certified accident lawyer in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- You could face jail time if the accident resulted in a death. There are cases where those who caused a fatal drunk driving accident were sentenced to prison for committing manslaughter so there is a chance your case could end the same. However, you can reduce the chances of this with a skilled Little Rock accident attorney working by your side.
Our accident lawyers specialize is this particular field of law meaning they understand what your rights are even if you did cause the accident and what efforts need to be made to get your penalties reduced.
Sometimes, the parties involved or certain family members of their family take action and file a personal injury lawsuit in the event your insurance coverage isn’t enough to cover their injuries or they are seeking more compensation for the damage you caused. You especially want to have a reliable Little Rock accident lawyer working with you if you are sued by the other involved party.
Because the waters become a little rough when a drunk driving accident was caused, you need legal aid and you don’t want to put it off. USAttorneys.com specializes in finding lawyers who are located in the city of Little Rock and getting you connected with them. These attorneys are some of the best in the field and will be sure to fight for the outcome you are seeking.