Auto insurers have ways to limit their liability that accident victims should know.

Auto insurers have ways to limit their liability that accident victims should know.


Birmingham, AL- Traffic accidents are not just one of the leading causes of accidental deaths in the U.S.; they are also costly and financially crippling for victims. The Centers for Disease Control reports that traffic accidents in Alabama cost the state and its residents $1.2 billion in medical expenses and time lost from work in 2013. It’s clear traffic accidents are costly and for that reason, auto insurers do things to reduce their liability and avoid paying accident victims the settlements they deserve.
USAttorneys recommends if you have been in a traffic accident in Birmingham, Alabama, you contact accident lawyer Morris Bart to work on your injury claim. He will keep you from being shortchanged in your accident settlement by an auto insurer and assure they aren’t allowed to deny you the compensation you deserve. Here we’ll discuss a few ways they try to limit their liability to your detriment.
 If you share part of the blame for an accident, Alabama law makes it difficult to recover compensation.

If you share part of the blame for an accident, Alabama law makes it difficult to recover compensation.


One of the more common ways insurers avoid paying a large accident settlement is to place all or some of the blame for an accident on you. Alabama has strict laws in regards to accidents in which both parties share fault and is one of the few states that use “contributory negligence” standards in personal injury claims. Such a rule means that you assume any amount of responsibility for a traffic crash, no matter how significant, you may not be able to secure any compensation. Even if you were only 10 percent responsible for a collision and the other party was 90 percent responsible, you may not be awarded any compensation.
Alabama’s contributory negligence rules make it very tough for accident victims to recover compensation which is why they need to have legal representation. A personal injury attorney can challenge the contributory negligence argument and recover the settlement you deserve.
Protect yourself by speaking with a personal injury lawyer.

Protect yourself by speaking with a personal injury lawyer.


Another way an auto insurer will try to avoid liability for your accident is to diminish the seriousness of your injuries. They may allege that you are not as hurt as you allege or claim your injuries were preexisting, so they can offer you a much lower settlement than you deserve. You can avoid this dilemma by getting immediate medical attention, so your injuries are documented. Also, the make certain you keep thorough medical records to present to your attorney and insurance company.
If you suffer a catastrophic injury, an attorney will be an asset to your claim.

If you suffer a catastrophic injury, an attorney will be an asset to your claim.


Another way to minimize their liability is to offer a low-ball settlement that may not even be enough to cover your medical bills. They are hoping you don’t have representation and aren’t aware of overall costs of your accident. Even when your injuries are catastrophic or major, you face exorbitant medical expenses. You probably have no idea how much your injuries are going to cost, but the accident lawyers at USAttorneys do, and they will work you get you every cent you deserve.
We urge auto accident victims in Birmingham to contact the Law Offices of Morris Bart at 205-380-4158 or visit his website to learn how he can be an asset to your case. You can set up a free consultation and talk about the best way to pursue your claim.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.