Work Accidents in Alhambra, California
Despite how careful we are, sometimes, unfortunate circumstances arise when we least expect them to. But what happens when these unfortunate circumstances arise at work and you engage in a work-related accident? How do work accidents differ from those that occur outside of the workplace? Actually, work accidents are handled in a much different manner than how you would handle a car accident or a slip and fall incident.
As a work accident victim in Alhambra, CA, you would be required to file your accident claim through your employer and their insurance company would provide you with the benefits you are entitled to. Given that you didn’t engage in any sort of negligent behavior that led to the accident occurring, your employer would be responsible for providing you with the necessary benefits your injury entitles you to.
Some of the benefits work accident victims receive include:
- Medical Care– This medical care should be paid for by your employer, or their insurance company, that is used to help you recover from your work injury or illness.
- Temporary Disability Benefits– If your injury has resulted in you being unable to work, these benefits would provide you with compensation for lost wages until you are able to get back to work.
- Permanent Disability Benefits– If you are unable to completely recover from your work accident, you may be entitled to receive benefits for this.
- Supplemental Job Displacement Benefits– These benefits are provided in the form of a voucher that helps pay for retraining or skill enhancement if you aren’t able to recover completely and don’t return to work for your employer.
- Death Benefits– These benefits are provided to the dependents of an employee who was killed in a work accident
In the state of California, most employers are required to either carry workers’ compensation insurance or cover the expenses that have arisen out of this work accident.
While your employer and their insurance company should give you no trouble in collecting your benefits, sometimes, employees find that their claim isn’t being handled properly. If you feel as though your employer’s insurance is handling your claim unfairly, our accident lawyers in Alhambra, California can help rectify this issue.
Contacting the California Workers’ Compensation Division
The Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) monitors the administration of workers’ compensation claims and they can help with disputes also. The Los Angeles County District Office is the office that provides information and assistance to the city of Alhambra, CA. It is located at:
320 W. 4th Street, 9th floor
Los Angeles, CA 90013-1954
If you would like to listen to recorded information pertaining to workers’ compensation benefits that apply to residents of Alhambra, CA, call 1-800-736-7401. The department also offers workshops for injured workers. You can click here to access a list of where and when these workshops are held.
If you feel as though there is another party that is responsible for your injuries and would like to know how you can hold them accountable, we can find you a nearby accident attorney in Alhambra, CA that can explain this to you.
How can I avoid engaging in an accident at my workplace?
If you were already involved in a work accident, it is time to ensure preventative measures are putino place so that you aren’t injured again.
Your employer has a duty to ensure the workplace he or she requires their employees to work in must be safe and hazard free. Now, many of the construction sites are already a dangerous place to be in, but your employer is required to take certain actions that help prevent work accidents from occurring. For example, your employer is required to have an injury and illness prevention program. This program addresses things like:
- Worker training
- Workplace inspections
- Procedures for correcting unsafe conditions promptly
Without proper training and a safe work environment, employees are more susceptible to engaging in an accident.