Why do I have to purchase certain types of auto insurance in the state of California?
The thing about accidents is that while you can’t prep for them, you can prepare for the aftermath of them. That is why we have insurance and why it is important for you to be aware of what coverage you have, what coverage you are required to have, your limits, and why you have it. If you were recently involved in a vehicular accident in Indio, California, knowing what your insurance policy consists of can help you to recover the costs for things like vehicle repairs, medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Among all the coverages you have under your current policy, there are a few you are required to have by law. If you are a resident of Indio, CA and you have an active insurance policy permitting you to operate your vehicle, then you likely have the following minimum coverages:
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident
- Property Damage Coverage: $5,000 per accident
[Source: Value Penguin].
But, what does this mean for someone who was just involved in an accident? Well, let us break it down a bit further for you.
- Bodily injury coverage will pay for injuries you caused in an accident in the event you have been found at-fault. It covers things like medical expenses for the driver and their passengers, however, not your own. This keeps you from having to reach into your own pocket and pay for the hefty medical bills that generally come with those who suffered an injury in an accident. If you were recently deemed liable for causing an accident, we suggest you speak with one of our accident lawyers in Indio, CA as they review with you the claims process and assist you in recovering compensation for your injuries in the event you suffered from some as well.
- Property damage coverage will pay for the damage you caused to someone else’s property. So, if you were texting and driving and drove into the back of someone’s bumper, this coverage will pay for the repairs. If you are only carrying the minimum coverage, your insurance will pay up to $5,000. If you are carrying more, then your insurer may pay more depending on what they estimate the damage to be.
The reason you are required by law to have these two types of coverages is so that you are carrying the financial responsibility for causing a car accident.
What insurance provides compensation for me if I am injured in an accident?
The optional types of insurance coverage that is available for you to purchase include:
- Comprehensive and Collision- What is comprehensive and collision coverage? This will help to pay for repairs that your own vehicle needs after engaging in a collision or if it gets stolen.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage- If an accident transpires and the person who causes it isn’t carrying enough insurance under their policy, underinsured coverage will help pick up what is due. However, if a driver is operating their vehicle without insurance, your uninsured coverage kicks in.
Check into your policy if you haven’t already to determine what your limits are. Limits are the amount of coverage your insurer is willing to pay out for property damage and/or injuries given you have the right type of coverage.
How can USAttorneys Assist You?
The Indio, California accident lawyers on our site are qualified, reliable and have a great deal of experience working with accident cases. They know if an insurance company is acting out of bad faith or trying to provide a low-ball offer. If you would like an accident lawyer in Indio to assess your case for free, contact us now and we will help you locate a professional working in your area.