If you are involved in a car accident in the city of Richmond, California, you are going to want to:
- Stop driving. Do not continue operating your vehicle and try and pull off to the side to avoid engaging in any further accidents.
- Call 911. No matter whether you think the collision is minor or not, you will want to place a call to your local police department and you can do so by dialing 911. You will want a police report written up that will document the details of your accident.
- Document everything. You will want to take note of any important information that you can. For instance, you will want to write down the tag number of all the vehicles involved, driver’s license numbers, descriptions of the vehicles, the time the accident occurred, and any other pertinent information.
- Get witness statements. In many cases, it is likely that someone saw the accident occur. Their statement can help in the event that you have any doubt in your mind that you might be held accountable for causing the accident when you didn’t. These statements will be helpful to both your insurance company as well as your auto accident attorney in Richmond, CA.
- Take photos. If you are physically able to, take photos of the accident scene, your injuries, and the damage done to both your vehicle and the other’s involved.
- Get a copy of your police report. If you can, ask for a copy of the police report after the officer finishes writing it up. Sometimes, you might be required to wait and get your copy from the local police department at a later date. If this is the case, you would need to visit:
Richmond Police Department
1701 Regatta Boulevard
- Inspect your vehicle. If you believe your vehicle might have more damage than it appears, have it towed. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Notify your insurance company and that of the at-fault party. Because California operates under at-fault law, the person responsible for causing the accident is the one responsible for paying for the damages incurred.
- Contact USAttorneys.com. We encourage you to reach out to us in order to get you connected with a local accident lawyer in Richmond, California. Our attorneys can provide you with some insightful information that can help you obtain the maximum compensation that your accident might be worth. Far too often are accident victims undercompensated and left having to pick up the slack from the medical bills and vehicle repairs that they weren’t compensated for.
Whether you were at-fault or not, it is critical that you have a legal professional who has your best interest in mind working with you. As much as you would like to believe that insurance companies are going to provide you with the settlement you need and deserve, this rarely is the case.
We are available to take your call now or feel free to submit a contact information form right here through our site. An agent will gladly assist you and help you get connected with local accident attorneys working in the city of Richmond, CA who specialize in accident law.