Stopping After an Accident and Reporting a Crash-Know the Difference
After engaging in crash in Roseville, California state law requires that you stop at the scene to assess whether anyone is injured or not. In the event no injuries are identifiable, that doesn’t give you permission to speed away. Some drivers think because the accident was minor that they aren’t obligated to stop. Big misconception! Drivers must stop after an accident to not only render aid if necessary to an injured victim, but to also exchange information with the others involved to ensure repairs can be made. You also don’t want to be criminally charged with a hit-and-run as that could have you facing jail time and other financial repercussions.

How long do I have until I must report an accident to the DMV in California?

This is a very important question and the answer to it is something you want to know. Anyone involved in a collision in California that resulted in an injury, death, or where property damage exceeds $1,000 will need to report this accident to the DMV, Division of Motor Vehicles, within 10 days from when the incident occurred. Fault is also not a factor when it comes to who is required to notify the DMV or not. Regardless of fault, anyone who meets the following criteria must report their accident. Failure to do so could result in exuberant fines and fees as well as the suspicion of your driver’s license.
If you have questions pertaining to your recent accident, it is best that you speak with one of our accident lawyers in Roseville, California.

Filing out the SR-1 Form

The SR-1 Form is the method you are going to use to notify the DMV of your accident. You can have your accident attorney in Roseville, CA or your insurance agent assist you with filling out this form or you can complete it on your own. Some information you will be required to fill out on the SR-1 Form includes:

  • Your personal information such as your name, address, vehicle type, license plate number, insurance company, and policy number.
  • The other driver’s name, address, and date of birth.
  • The other driver’s vehicle information such as their license plate number and state it is registered in.
  • The driver’s license number of the other driver.
  • The other driver’s insurance company, policy number, and the expiration date of their policy.
  • The policy holder’s name and address.
  • The name of the owner of the vehicle in the event the driver is not the owner.

The SR-1 Form is also used to report accidents that occur on private property in the state of California. The form is also expected to be filed in conjunction with other forms that may have be requested from you, whether it be from the California Highway Patrol or your insurance company. Once the SR-1 Form is completed, you are going to want to mail it to:
Department of Motor Vehicles Financial Responsibility
Mail Station J237
P.O. Box 942884
Sacramento, CA 94284-0884
You may find that the time after an accident when you are supposed to be resting and recovering can be the most stressful. This is why many individuals choose to hire a local Roseville, CA accident and injury attorney. They can take care of all the paperwork demands and even work to ensure your damage and injuries are compensated fairly.
You can give us a call today as we can connect you with some local accident lawyers in your city. Our legal representatives provide free consultations so we encourage you to take advantage of that as this can be the time to get your questions answered and decide if hiring a lawyer is the next step you want to take.