I was involved in an accident and sustained injuries. Do I file my complaint in county or district court?
After being involved in an accident in Centennial, CO, if you believe someone’s negligent behavior brought it on, you may have a viable personal injury case on your hands. Of course, investigations will need to be conducted in order to prove it was their negligence that caused your accident and state laws will definitely play a role as well as they will help or hinder you in collecting the compensation you are seeking. So, if you are looking to file a complaint with the courts as an attempt to be paid for the injuries you have sustained, you will need a Centennial, Colorado accident lawyer who is well-versed in personal injury law who can assist you with this process.

How to choose which court to file your complaint with in Centennial, Colorado.

If your accident occurred within the city of Centennial, you will either file your complaint with the county or district court. Because personal injury matters are viewed as a civil matter and not criminal, in most cases, they are handled by a civil court. Choosing where to file your compliant is going to depend on how much your damages are worth. Damages can include but are not limited to:

  • Pain and suffering- In other words, how much pain have you been in? How often? How serious is it? Pain can truly take a toll on your life and affect how much you enjoy it which is why it should be calculated in the amount you are demanding.


  • Loss of wages- Did your accident have you out of work? Did you lose out on promotions or raises that you would have received had you been at work?


  • Medical bills-Seeking medical treatment isn’t cheap, especially if you were injured in a serious auto accident or slipped and fell on the premise of a store owner’s property. If you didn’t cause the accident and it could have been prevented, you shouldn’t be held responsible for covering these medical bills that continue to pile up.

There are other types of damages that would also be included in the amount of what your injuries are worth, however, it is best to allow a Centennial accident attorney to help you figure this out.
Once you know how much your injuries are worth, then you use this to determine where to file your complaint. If your claim is $7,500 or less, then you would file your complaint with the Arapahoe County Judicial District Court system. You can file your claim at:
The Littleton County Courthouse
1790 W. Littleton Blvd. Littleton, CO 80120
Your claim will need to be filed with the 18th Judicial District so be mindful of this when filling out the required paperwork. Now, if your case is more than $7,500, you will need to file your complaint with the District Court Civil system.
To ensure you complete all the requirements in order for your case to be heard, it is best that you have one of our experienced accident attorneys in Centennial working by your side. You can browse our site now and search for a lawyer whom you wish to hire or speak with one of our agents who would be happy to help you find a local attorney nearby to you.
It is important that as an accident victim that you receive all the compensation you are entitled to and that you increase your chances of being awarded it with the help our accident attorneys offer.