Can my employer retaliate against me if I get hurt in a work accident?
It is against the law for an employer to retaliate against an employee who was injured in a work-related accident according to the Workers’ Compensation Act. Some forms of retaliation might include:

  • Discharging an employee from their current position during their time off from work.
  • Delay in getting documents filed so the employee can receive their benefits.
  • Fire a worker once they come back to work after being on workers’ compensation leave.

If an employee has been discharged or discriminated against because of their work accident, they can either:

  1. Hire a Stamford, Connecticut accident lawyer who specializes in workers’ comp cases and bring a civil action in the superior court for the judicial district where the employee was hired. The civil action can be filed in order for the employee to have their job reinstated, receive payment for back wages, or have their employee benefits reestablished. In some cases, employers might not fire a worker but refuse to pay them what is owed or deprive them from receiving the benefits they are entitled to.


  1. File a complaint with the chairman of the Workers’ Compensation Commission. According to the State of Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Commission, the chairman will elect a commissioner to oversee the complaint. A hearing will be scheduled in the district in which the worker was employed. After the hearing is conducted, the commissioner will send each party a written copy of the decision that has been made.

If you are or were employed in the city of Stamford, Connecticut and believe your employer has retaliated against you because you filed a workers’ compensation claim after engaging in a work-related accident, you are encouraged to hire one of the respectable and reliable Stamford, CT accident lawyers we feature right here on Although you are permitted to take a course of legal action on your own, you have a better chance of obtaining an outcome that is in your favor when being represented by a lawyer.
Once an employer learns that you have taken on legal aid, they may try and have the case dropped by providing you with what you were originally entitled to or give you your job back in the event they wrongfully terminated you.

What does it mean to take civil action?

Civil matters differ from those that are criminal. For instance, when someone commits a crime such as burglary, DUI, or murder, they are faced with criminal charges and a criminal court oversees the case. Jail time as well as fines are the usual consequences in these matters. A civil matter, on the other hand, generally deals with breach of contacts or tort claims. A tort claim arises out of negligent actions that bring on injury. Therefore, if your employer failed to comply with the state laws that require them to provide you with workers’ compensation benefits after being injured in an accident, they risk being sued. The same thing would apply if they attempt to retaliate against you under the same circumstances.
If you wish to bring a civil suit against your employer or wish to have an accident attorney in Stamford, CT speak on your behalf and attempt to get your employer to right their wrong after firing you for filing a workers’ comp claim, we can help you. All of the accident lawyers featured on our site have years of experience and can provide you with useful information that can help you win your case.