DALLAS, Texas. According to the World Health Organization, every year anywhere from 250,000 to 500,000 people suffer spinal cord injuries. Many of these catastrophic injuries occur due to motor vehicle accidents, violence, or falls. Individuals who experience spinal cord injuries might suffer from paralysis and other complications. If you have recently experienced a spinal cord injury due to a car accident, slip and fall accident, or due to another injury, here are 5 things to consider:
- Consider the cost of ongoing care. Spinal cord injury victims may need long-term care, long courses of rehabilitation, and may need surgeries. The cost of spinal cord injury can be as high as $1 million in the first year alone. How will you pay for this care? According to the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation, there are many avenues available to spinal cord injury sufferers. You may be entitled to seek money through worker’s compensation if you were injured on the job. If you are over 65 years of age, you may qualify for Medicare and if you are recently disabled and cannot work you may be eligible to apply for Medicaid. If you were hurt due to the negligent actions of another person or party, you may be entitled to seek damages from negligent parties and their insurers. The Lenahan Law Firm are Dallas, Texas catastrophic injury lawyers who may be able to assist you with this process.
- Find the right kind of rehabilitation center for your injury. Patients who receive quality rehabilitation are more likely to enjoy better quality of life following a spinal cord injury or paralysis. You’ll want to find a rehabilitation center that specializes in treatment for your particular injury. This may not be the closest treatment center to you. If you are having difficulty affording proper rehabilitation care, consider reaching out to the Lenahan Law Firm Our Dallas, Texas catastrophic injury lawyers may be able to help you seek damages to cover your losses and help you pay for the right rehabilitation care you need.
- Work with an occupational therapist to select specialized equipment. Finding the right kind of adaptive equipment like wheelchairs and other assistive devices can make a big difference in a patient’s level of independence following an injury. Some of this equipment can be costly. If you are struggling to afford the equipment you may need, the Lenahan Law Firm may be able to help you seek damages and recovery to ensure your needs are met.
- Consider special research trials. Every day there are breakthroughs in spinal cord research. Some early research has shown promise that some patients can even walk again. Speak to your doctor about research and trials and how you can enroll.
- Consider caregiver needs, too. Spinal cord injury can impact the whole family. Spouses, children, and other loved ones can be affected. Before you can care for your injured loved one, it is important to care for yourself. Don’t skip doctor’s appointments and make sure you are getting the support you need. This may mean hiring nursing help to assist you with some tasks. If you feel you cannot afford assistance, consider speaking to the Lenaham Law Firm, catastrophic injury lawyers in Dallas, Texas. Our firm understands that caregivers also deserve support and we may be able to help you seek damages to cover these needs.