How long do you have to go to the doctor after a car accident?
After you have been involved in a car accident, you are going to want to seek medical attention right away from a licensed medical physician. According to Florida Statute §627.736, you have 14 days from when the accident occurred in order to have 80% of your medical treatments covered by your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. This includes medically necessary treatments, surgical, X-ray, dental, and rehabilitative services, including prosthetic devices and medically necessary ambulance, hospital, and nursing services.”
PIP insurance is what covers your medical bills after being involved in a crash, regardless of who is at-fault. Therefore, your insurance company cannot claim that you aren’t eligible to have your medical treatments covered simply because you were guilty of causing an accident.
Who is covered under my PIP benefits?
Although you might assume that your insurance will only cover you seeing that you are designated policy holder, Florida law states otherwise. The following individuals are generally covered under a drivers PIP benefits assuming that their policy complies with state law:
- Relatives residing in the same household as the driver.
- Persons operating the insured motor vehicle.
- Passengers in the motor vehicle.
- Other persons struck by the motor vehicle and suffering bodily injury while not an occupant of a self-propelled vehicle.
Why seek medical attention right away?
Many accident victims walk away from the accident feeling normal and under the impression that they weren’t really hurt in the accident. While it might seem as though you are injury-free, oftentimes individuals learn later that they did actually suffer an injury. Many injuries are delayed, which means they don’t necessarily show up right after an auto crash has occurred.
This is one of the many reasons why accident lawyers in Pompano Beach, FL suggest that you seek medical treatment directly after an accident has occurred. While it might seem like an unnecessary step to take, you don’t want to wake up three days later with back and neck pain and your insurance company bickering with you that you can no longer claim the accident brought on these injuries.
Some other reasons why it is crucial for you to seek medical treatment after you have been involved in an auto accident in Pompano Beach, Florida include:
- Although you might not feel any pain, a doctor has the ability and tools necessary to identify whether any injury or strain may have occurred within your body.
- It will help your insurance claim and alleviate having the insurer deny your claim.
- Your doctor’s visit will serve as a form of evidence in your case in the event you are trying to file a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver. Sometimes accident victims learn later that their injuries are much worse than they thought and decide to file suit against the driver to recover damages for their injuries.
If you would like more general information regarding car accidents and what you might be entitled to as a result of yours, it is best that you speak with one of our local accident lawyers in Pompano Beach, FL. We can help you find a professional in your area now who can provide you with a free consultation today.