Roadway accidents aren’t the only type of incidents that occur in the city of Tallahassee, FL that you can file a claim or lawsuit for. Some hospitals, health care facilities, and even long-term care facilities have been recognized for their negligence that has led to an accident occurring. When a hospital or health care physician makes a mistake that leads to a death or injury, this is often referred to as medical malpractice.
It is important that if you or a loved one were harmed during your stay in a hospital or by the hands of a reckless physician that you take all the appropriate steps to get a claim or lawsuit filed. The Tallahassee, Florida accident attorneys featured on our site will gladly explain what this process entails and the various ways they can help get you the maximum compensation you should receive. They can also represent you throughout your case, providing you with information so you are never left in the dark or uncertain as to what the status of your claim is.

Important Medical Malpractice Laws that Apply to Tallahassee Residents

If your injury occurred as a result of an error made by any of the following health care providers, you might have a viable claim on your hands. A healthcare provider could be:

  • Any hospital
  • Ambulatory surgical center
  • Mobile surgical facility
  • A birth center
  • Any person who is licensed
  • A clinical lab
  • A health maintenance organization
  • A blood bank
  • A plasma center
  • An industrial clinic
  • A renal dialysis facility
  • A professional association partnership

Keep in mind that they must be licensed according to the state’s statute guidelines as it might be much more difficult to bring a claim against a facility that isn’t licensed.

What will I need to file a claim or lawsuit against a health care provider?

The state of Florida requires that “the claimant shall have the burden of proving by the greater weight of evidence that the alleged actions of the health care provider represented a breach of the prevailing professional standard of care for that health care provider” according to state statute 766.102.
Once you have evidence that meets this burden of proof, you will need to take the necessary steps to begin the legal process. You are going to want a highly qualified accident lawyer in Tallahassee helping you with this task and we can connect you with one immediately.

What am I entitled to collect for my injuries?

According to state statute 766.202, one of the types of damages you are entitled to collect given that you have all the necessary proof that indicates an accident was made on part of the physician are economic damages. This encompasses financial losses that would have not occurred had the injury not transpired. This includes:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • 80% of wage loss and loss of earning capacity

You are also entitled to file for other damages that cover the pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of this incident. If you would like, our accident attorneys in Tallahassee can explain these damages and how you might quality to file for them.
Because hospitals and other health care facilities carry liability insurance, you might be able to collect your compensation by simply filing a claim against the hospital. However, if they aren’t willing to comply, you then will want to hire one of our trustworthy accident and injury lawyers to assist in getting a lawsuit filed.