Whether you were hurt in a government-owned building or whether you suffered serious harm due to inaction from a government entity who owed you a duty of care, you may be eligible to make an injury claim against the government. Though it is possible to sue the government when you face serious harm, you must keep in mind that all governments have sovereign immunity from lawsuits. This means that all government entitles are safe from lawsuits unless they acted in an outrageous manner.

Some cases in which you may be eligible to file a claim against a government entity include:

  • Injuries faced due to getting into an accident with a municipal vehicle
  • Injuries faced due to dangerous government-owned building conditions
  • Injuries faced due to the actions of a government official

The legal claim process in Jackson, Mississippi

If you decide to file a lawsuit against a government entity, you will have to follow specific rules. Most government bodies set their own rules to who can file a legal claim against them and why. You can work with a lawyer to figure out the rules of the specific entity you are trying to sue to see if you are eligible to make a claim against them.

The first step of any government claim process is to file a written complaint as soon as possible- usually within 1-6 months of the injury occurring. This step is vital because if you fail to make this claim you will most likely lose your right to get compensated through them.

Some states have their own specific claim form that can be picked up from the local county attorney, but in most cases, all you will need is a signed paper with the information of the injury clearly typed in it. The information should include Your full name, address, and contact information, the date, location, and details of the accident and how it occurred. You don’t have to get into too much detail on this initial claim letter, but the incident should at least be generally described.

You should also mention your injuries and other losses, such as lost income, but you do not have to get into any details, you can just generally mention the type of injury you faced and the general loss of income without mentioning the numbers.

It is always a good idea to have an attorney file the claim for you because they will be able to guide you on all the information you should and should not include. For instance, if you are filling out the form and they request you to mention your medical expenses you should list everything up to date but include a note saying that your expenses are still ongoing so they know you deserve more compensation.

Connect with a personal injury lawyer today to file your claim against a government entity at Heilman Law Group PA:

Jackson Office
4266 I-55 North
Suite 106
Jackson, Mississippi 39211
Phone: 601-914-1025
Fax: 601-944-2915

Top of Form

Main Contact 

Bottom of Form