Planning to rent a car to travel this holiday season? If so, there are a few important things you need to remember to ensure your trip runs as smoothly as possible.
- Check your insurance policy to ensure it will cover you in the event of an accident.
Although you don’t anticipate getting into an accident over the holidays, especially while operating the rental car you are thinking of reserving, the fact is, we never know when one will transpire. Therefore, it is best to find out what your insurance company will and will not cover based on the type of policy you have so that you know whether you need to add on the insurance the rental company offers when it comes time to rent your vehicle. Aside from checking with your insurer, you should also contact the company of the credit card you plan on completing your purchase with as they will sometimes provide you with insurance protection, although most people are unaware of this.
- Don’t open yourself up to having the data in your phone stolen.
Because many of the vehicles you can rent today come equipped with features that allow you to make “hands-free calls, stream music, and even access the internet,” in order to access these features, you must connect your phone to the infotainment system first, says Property Casualty 360. And when you do this, you may be allowing the infotainment system to store some of your personal information that you wouldn’t want a stranger to know. For instance, certain individuals who know how to access these systems can retrieve sensitive data such as your home address or even the code you use to open your garage door. They may even have the ability to see your personal contacts list, call logs, and more.
Therefore, to help reduce the chances of having your personal information compromised, the source recommends that you do the following:
- Purchase a charger for your phone that can plug into the cigarette lighter adapter port rather than connect it to the vehicles USB port. This way, no information can be accessed.
- Use your phone’s GPS system without actually syncing your phone to the vehicle.
- Check your phone’s settings to see what permissions you currently have set. For example, if you wish to sync your phone to the vehicle’s infotainment system, only let is access what it needs. Therefore, if you are going to use your phone to stream music, then set the restrictions to music only so that the vehicle’s system cannot access your other personal information.
- If possible, delete your synced device from the rental car’s system. If you are unsure as to how this can be done, check the owner’s manual or online for help.
- Drive defensively.
If you weren’t aware, the holiday times tend to be one of the busier times to be traveling on the roadway which means there is an increased chance of an accident transpiring. The fact is, more people are traveling to unknown cities and states and many find themselves more focused on their phones and GPS systems than on the actual roadway. And let’s not forget about the drunk drivers. Did you know that in 2016, 781 people were killed in alcohol-related crashes in the month of December alone [Source: US Department of Transportation]? Therefore, if there was ever a time to be vigilant while traveling on the road, now would be that time.
As much as we would all like for the holidays to be an enjoyable and memorable time, sometimes, things happen that are out of our control. And if you happen to be the unfortunate victim of a car crash that occurred in or nearby to Alexandria, LA, consider contacting USAttorneys.com. Rather than have to focus your attention on getting your car accident claim paid as well as having to contact the liable parties to ensure they are going to properly compensate you for the damage done and/or the injuries you sustained, let our office handle that while you focus on yourself and your family.
Aside from handling the paperwork and other legalities that are often associated with car crashes, we can also protect your rights as a victim and help you recover the maximum amount of compensation you are due for the damages sustained. To learn more about how our office can assist you after having been involved in an auto accident in Alexandria, visit https://car-accident.usattorneys.com/ now.