When it comes to personal injury cases, there may or may not be a police report filed in connection with the accident or incident from which the injury manifested.
However, when it comes to car accident personal injury cases, more often than not there is going to be a police report detailing the facts and observations with regards to the auto accident.
For the most part, police reports are usually deemed inadmissible in a court of law as evidence and plaintiffs of personal injury lawsuits will have to resort to other forms of evidence such as:
- witness statements
- expert testimonies
- video graphic evidence
- photographic evidence, etc.
However, this does not mean the police report is irrelevant to the case.
In fact, the police report can actually be very useful indeed in most, if not all personal injury cases. Here are some tips on how you can go about using the police report to further strengthen your car accident case according to our profound accident legal professionals.
How to use a police report outside of court in a car accident personal injury case
As already mentioned, a police report is not something you are going to be able to bring into a court trial as evidence since it is deemed inadmissible. However, most car accident cases are settled outside of court and this is where you can use the police report in your favor when it comes to negotiating a settlement amount, etc. It can certainly point you in the right direction in regards to what happened out there on the road.
To begin with, you will need to acquire the police report in order to be able to use it.
- Requesting police records – Legal experts know what it takes to get their hands on the police reports. This is something they do routinely for their clients. They have the right contacts and connections within the police department to be able to reach out to them and get a copy of the police report hassle free.
- Using the report to get the settlement you deserve – Accident insurance adjustors are often going to try and get you to settle for a less than expect amount. If you were to take the case to court, you would probably get a lot more than what you are being offered if you have a legal counselor representing you. Also, you will most likely settle out of court for several reasons. Do not sign anything with that insurance company until you have legal help. Do not sell yourself short. Do not make that type of mistake.
During such negotiations, if you are able to use the police report and point out how strong your case is and that you are not hesitant to take it court you can rest assured that the insurance adjustor will consider revising the settlement offer that your attorney has proposed to them or certainly get the insurance company to increase the amount they were offering.
- Police reports have critical facts – To gather evidence from your car accident case your legal team will need some facts. This includes:
- the location and time of the accident
- license plate numbers of all the parties involved
- names and contact details of everyone involved
- description of the accident
- names and contact details of witnesses
- badge numbers of responding officers, etc.
We have what you need
If you need help with your accident claim then USAttorneys.com is just the place to get connected with terrific accident lawyers in Tucson, Arizona. We’ve made the task easy. To gain access to a list of legal representatives with an incredible track record all you need is to use the Local Lawyers Directory Search on the home page of this website. You can call them immediately to set up a free initial consultation.
You can use the interactive map as well on this site to pinpoint an attorney depending on where you live.
If you have any issues, reach out to us via the contact form or our online chat service. We will call you back in the shortest possible time. No problem there.
We know you are upset about what happened. You have every right to be. But you need to cooperate with the powers at be so you can have the final laugh if your case has merit. Secure this legal help today! It costs you nothing to pick up lawyer in a case like this. They win only when you win.
And they know the tactics that those insurance companies like to play and their legal pros that represent them.