What should I do after an accident in Bloomington, IN?

  1. File a traffic accident report.

If you were involved in an accident in Bloomington, IN you may need to file a traffic accident report with local police. If it an emergency, don’t hesitate to call 911. If it a non-emergency, call 812-339-4477 and the call taker will determine which type of emergency personnel are needed and send them to your location. Be prepared to provide the call taker with the following information:

  • The location of where the accident transpired.
  • The number and types of vehicles involved.
  • If anyone is injured and the extent of the injuries.

Keep in mind that if the accident only resulted in minor damage, which is an estimate of $1,000 or less, you are not required to call the police to come out to the scene of the accident. However, it is in your best interest to have an officer of the law at the accident scene to ensure the transfer of information goes smoothly and even to confirm the estimated value of damage as this can sometimes be difficult. Vehicles can be rather expensive to repair so you don’t want to risk not calling the police and your damage amounting to more than $1,000.
[Source: City of Bloomington, Indiana].
You might also want to consider hiring a local accident lawyer in Bloomington, IN if your vehicle damage is severe or the injuries you or any of your passengers sustained were serious.

  1. File an incident report.

Depending on the degree of the accident, you may be able to file an incident report in one of three ways:

  • You may be able to file an incident report using the Online Incident Reporting System.
  • If your accident doesn’t meet the criteria to report using this online system, you can call 812-339-4477 and let the call taker know you would like to report an incident.
  • You can file your report in person by going to the Bloomington Police Department which is located at:

220 East Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47401
You are permitted to file your report 24-hours a day, seven days a week.

  1. Get a copy of your police report.

You can pick up a copy of your police report by firs filing out the Public Access Request form. Click here now to access this form. Bring the form to the following address Bloomington Police Department, Record Division which again, is located at:
220 East Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47401
Accidents can sometimes be a confusing matter for many which contributes to accident victims receiving less for their damages than they are actually due. To avoid losing out on compensation that can cover medical bills, lost wages, and even the pain and suffering you might experience, let a Bloomington, IN accident attorney here at USAttorneys.com represent you and your case. Not sure if you need to hire an attorney after your accident? No problem. Our Bloomington, IN accident and injury lawyers will provide you with a free case evaluation to better help you decide if their expertise is necessary to get you through this difficult and traumatic time.