A bicyclist died in a hospital in Iowa City, Iowa after being hit by a car near the town of Waterloo

Waterloo is several miles northwest of the Iowa City limits.

Bicyclist is killed while riding on a street in the middle of the night

An initial investigation by police showed that the victim was riding her bike home from a friend’s house at around 2 am on a Sunday morning. She began to ride eastbound against the direction of traffic on Broadway Street. A car that was driven by a 26 year old woman drove into her bike at this time. 

The driver immediately pulled to the side of the road and called 911 from her cellphone. When police arrived, the driver said that she did not see the bicyclist due to the time of night and visibility. 

The victim was identified as an 18 year old female from Waterloo. She died several hours after being transported to the hospital. There was no info regarding whether the driver was charged criminally. 

Contacting the police after an accident

Every state in the U.S. requires drivers to make contact with anyone else involved in an accident before leaving the area. The driver made the right decision in this case, as fleeing the scene of the accident could have resulted in her being charged with multiple crimes and raised suspicion of foul play. 

After an accident, it is always important to contact the other drivers, call the police and ask for medical assistance if needed, then contact your insurance company as soon as it is safe to do so. Drivers who do not follow this procedure may be charged with a misdemeanor for leaving the scene of an accident, or a felony if serious injuries or fatalities are reported. 

Filing a lawsuit against the person responsible

In this situation, it is likely that the family of the victim will want to file a civil injury case on behalf of their young family member. Iowa has a wrongful death law that dictates what can be done in this situation. 

The state’s wrongful death statute lists which family members can file a lawsuit when a relative dies. This is usually limited to a spouse or child who was financially dependent on the person. In a situation like this where the victim was young, it is likely that her parents would be the one to bring the case on her estate’s behalf.

The damages available in a wrongful death lawsuit are related to future lost income and earning potential, funeral and burial services, medical and hospital treatment, and non-economic damages for pain and suffering. 

Accident attorneys are available to help you

There are lawyers who can bring a civil case on your behalf after any kind of motor vehicle crash. To get more information contact:

Eells and Tronvold Law Offices 

1921 51st Street NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402-2400