Anyone involved in a serious accident must report the collision to the Kentucky State Police. If the accident caused over $500 of damage, caused an injury or resulted in the death of a person then a Civilian Collision Report form must be filled out with the following information:

  • Contact information of all the individuals involved
  • Identifying information of all the individuals involved
  • Details of the vehicles involved
  • The estimated cost of repair
  • Vehicle insurance information
  • Any other damage caused by the collision
  • The road and weather conditions at the time of the collision

This information must be filed within 10 days or a $20-$100 fine can be given to the drivers involved in the accident. Failure to report the accident also causes other problems if a person realizes they lost more than they originally thought they did. If a person later discovers they suffered serious property damage or that they suffered serious injuries and they need compensation for it, it will become harder to file for it if they didn’t report the accident when it first occurred.

When should I inform my insurance company about the accident?

The sooner a person informs their insurer about the accident, the sooner they will be given their settlement. However, it is not a good idea to call one’s insurer without first talking to an accident attorney. Individuals who contact their insurer on their own right away may get their settlement sooner, but the chances of them being offered much less then what they deserve are very high.

When a person makes the decision to contact an attorney first in Ages, Kentucky, they get the added benefit of understanding how much they deserve based on the details of their accident and the attorney can correspond with the insurer on their behalf to make sure the settlement is given fairly and quickly.

In Kentucky, most car accident claims are settled before they get to the stage of going to court. After the collision, the insurer starts investigating the claim, calculates the damages, and gives an initial offer. A person can consult with their attorney and see how much more they are entitled to receive and then give a counteroffer until the insurer agrees to a reasonable amount. If all fails and the insurer refuses to give a person the amount that they deserve, they can escalate matters to court.

If matters get this far a person will have to provide evidence to show they deserve to be properly compensated because of the financial losses that they suffered. If there is enough evidence the court will grant a person the compensation they deserve, and they may additionally grant a person more compensation because of the unnecessary time that was wasted by the insurance company.