Understanding Michigan’s No-Fault Insurance Law
No-fault insurance is a type of insurance coverage that all Michigan drivers must purchase if they plan to operate a vehicle or purchase one to drive. No-fault insurance laws are implemented in several different states and they are designed to protect individuals from being sued in the event they caused an accident. With no-fault laws, a person involved in an auto accident is responsible for filing a claim through their own insurer to cover things like:

  • Medical expenses
  • Wage loss benefits
  • Replacement services
  • Damage done to another person’s property

Fault is not a factor when it comes to no-fault laws and it won’t affect if your insurer will cover your accident. With that in mind, there are three parts to a no-fault insurance policy that is required by you to be purchased if you live in Dearborn or any other city in the state of Michigan. These three parts include:

  1. Personal Injury Protection (PIP)- This coverage is what is responsible for compensating you for lost wages and your medical expenses. As of October 1, 2016, the maximum amount you can collect if you are injured in an accident is $5,452 per month.
  2. Property Protection (PPI)- This coverage will pay up to $1 million for damage you caused to another people’s property as well as damage done to a properly parked vehicle.
  3. Residual Liability Insurance-Bodily Injury and Property Damage- This coverage helps to protect you from being sued by another driver.

If you are facing a lawsuit for causing a car crash in Dearborn or need legal assistance involving a recent accident that transpired, contact one of the reliable Dearborn, Michigan accident and injury attorneys featured on USAttorneys.com.

When can a driver be sued in the state of Michigan for causing a car accident?

Although Michigan’s no-fault insurance law protects drivers from being hit with a lawsuit, there are times when one can be filed. The following situations would permit an individual to file suit:

  • You caused an accident that killed someone, seriously injured them, or the accident resulted in permanent disfigurement.
  • You were involved in a collision with a non-resident who is an occupant of a vehicle that is not registered in the state of Michigan.
  • You are involved in an auto accident in another state.
  • If you are 50% more at fault for causing the accident and the other person’s damages are not covered by their insurance, you can be sued for up to $1,000. This is known as a “mini-tort.”

[Source: Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services].

How can I file a mini-tort in the state of Michigan?

If you were involved in auto accident in Dearborn and your damages exceeded beyond what your insurance will pay, yet you were less than 50% at fault, you can sue the other driver for up to $1,000. You would be required to go through the process of filing a mini tort and this is usually done in small claims court.
To gain a better understanding of what your rights are as an accident victim, even if you were partially at-fault for causing the accident, speak with an accident lawyer in Dearborn, Michigan today. USAttorneys would be glad to get you connected with a legal professional so we encourage you to give us a call now.