Troy, Michigan drivers are required to carry certain coverages under their auto insurance policy in the event an unexpected accident occurs. Insurance is there to protect you and your vehicle and the company helps absorb a significant portion of the costs necessary to fix any damages that arise out of an accident. If you are wondering what the required coverages are, we have provided an outline below for your convenience. Understanding what each of these coverages is can help you if you were recently involved in a car collision in Troy.

Michigan Requires Its Drivers to Carry No-Fault Automobile Insurance Coverage

In 1973, the state of Michigan adopted no-fault insurance laws which are expected to help individuals receive the compensation they need from their insurance carrier for their injuries, regardless of whose fault the accident was. However, no-fault insurance laws also limit a person’s ability to file a personal injury lawsuit to collect any additional damages they may feel they are entitled to.
If you were recently involved in an auto accident in Troy, Michigan and feel your injuries qualify you to collect more than what your insurance company is paying, contact us today. An accident attorney in Troy, Michigan can assess the details of your case and determine if you are permitted to take further action and possibly file a personal injury lawsuit against the party who was responsible for causing the accident.
If you were involved in a truck accident and the driver was working for a company at the time, you may be able to recoup some compensation from their employer. This is something you need to discuss with one of our Troy, Michigan accident lawyers before attempting to pursue a claim.

What are the minimum insurance requirements I am required to have in Michigan?


  1. Personal Injury Protection (PIP)- This coverage will cover the necessary medical treatments you need to have rendered with no maximum limit. It also covers the lost wages you would have earned had you not been involved in an auto accident for up to three years. PIP may even pay you up to $20.00 for replacement services such as costs for housekeeping or yard work if you are unable to do this.


  1. Property Protection Insurance (PPI)- This pays for up to $1 million for any damages your vehicle does to another person’s property in Michigan.


  1. Residual Liability Insurance- Bodily Injury and Property Damage (BI/PD)- Carrying this coverage helps to keep you protected from being sued. The minimum required BI/PD coverage limits that you need to have under your policy include:
  • Up to $20,000 for a person who is injured or killed in an accident.
  • Up to $40,000 for each accident if several individuals are injured or killed.
  • Up to $10,000 for property damage that occurs in another state.

In the event you are seeking specific information regarding insurance or are dealing with an issue involving your insurance company, you can contact the Michigan Department of Insurance by calling 1-877-999- 6442 or visiting their website at
Keep in mind that if you are having an issue with a bodily injury or property damage claim, while the Michigan Department of Insurance can assist you, they can’t provide you with legal advice on how to resolve the matter. That is where our Troy, Michigan accident lawyers come into the picture. Not only are they qualified to answer any type of question you may have, but they can represent you in the event you are struggling to receive the compensation you are entitled to after your accident.