Post- Traumatic Stress Disorder and Car Accidents
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that arises after someone is involved in or witnessed a life-threatening event [Source: National Center for PTSD]. Car accidents or other types of traumatic accidents can result in someone suffering from PTSD and it can continue to affect them over time. Therapy and other types of medical treatments are used to help those suffering from PTSD get through the difficult times as it can be a challenge to do it on your own.
If you were recently involved in an auto accident in the city of Duluth, Minnesota and are struggling with PTSD, it is important that you become aware of the rights you have as a victim of the accident. Many accident victims lose out on compensation that could be used to cover the medical treatments necessary to help heal you from PTSD and help cover lost wages in the event the accident has affected your ability to work. We encourage you to contact us here at USAttorneys.com as we can help you find and retain a local accident lawyer in Duluth, MN who can discuss what your legal options are and how much your injuries entitle you to.
What are some symptoms of PTSD?
There are different clusters of symptoms that you might experience when struggling with PTSD and each carries additonal symptoms along with them. We present those to you below:
- Experiencing- Some accident victims experience PTSD by re-experiencing the accident they were either involved in or witnessed. Someone who goes through this might experience:
- Acting or feeling as though the trauma was recurring.
- Distressing dreams of the trauma.
- Distressing recollections of the trauma.
- Avoidance/Numbing- A person with PTSD might try and avoid situations simply because it reminds them of the incident. Some things a person might experience with this symptom includes:
- Restricted range of affect.
- Avoiding activities, places, or people reminiscent of the trauma.
- Inability to recall an important aspect of the trauma.
- Diminished interest or participation in significant activities.
- Someone suffering from this symptom might experience:
- Sleep difficulties
- Difficulty concentrating
- Irritability or outburst of anger
- Exaggerated startle response
[Source: MD Edge].
Living with PTSD can take a toll on your life and keep you from living the way you want to. Our accident and injury lawyers in Duluth, Minnesota have helped various clients such as yourself receive the compensation they deserve for the unfortunate suffering they have had to go through because of the accident they were involved in.
While some accident victims are only qualified to receive an insurance settlement, our attorneys will work to determine what other avenues can be taken so that your injuries aren’t left unnoticed and that they are properly compensated for. This is usually done through filing a personal injury lawsuit. To help you determine if you qualify to file a personal injury lawsuit, contact us now and an agent will work to pair you up with a local accident attorney in Duluth.