Am I authorized to receive medical treatment that is covered if I was involved in an accident at work?
When an individual becomes injured in a work accident in Edmond, OK, it usually results in a workers’ compensation claim being filed. This workers’ compensation claim goes through your employer’s insurance carrier with whom they are contracted with and they are responsible for providing you with the benefits you need to help you get healed and back to work. Will my medical treatment be covered by workers’ comp?
Yes, according to the State of Oklahoma Workers’ Compensation Commission, you have the right to receive medical treatment that is considered reasonable and necessary for the injury or illness you incurred while on the clock.  You may be required to seek treatment from a certain physician in the event your employer is contracted with a certified workplace medical plan (CWMP). If they are not, your employer will select the physician.
In the event your injuries are severe or have caused you to suffer from a disability, you may be able to hold other parties accountable for your accident. Contact now so we can help you locate a nearby accident attorney in Edmond, OK who can help you determine this. While it may take some investigation, our accident lawyers are sure to help recognize anyone who may have caused your accident to be held accountable for their negligent actions.

Can my employer deny me benefits to have my work injuries treated?

While your employer is permitted to deny you benefits, they do need to file CC- Form-2A that highlights the reason for your denial. You should receive this notification within 15 days from when the accident occurred. Your employer also has the right to file for an extension of this deadline if they feel they need more time to investigate the claim.
While most work accidents result in a worker receiving the necessary benefits, there are instances where an Edmond, Oklahoma employer is permitted to deny your injury claim or refuse to file it. These instances include:

  • When the injuries an employee incurred happened in the parking lot or another area adjacent to the employer’s place of business, while reporting for a shift, or leaving at the end of a shift.
  • Your injuries were from the use of drugs or alcohol. If you were operating your work vehicle and engaged in a crash while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you likely won’t be covered by workers’ comp benefits.
  • If you were involved in an accident that occurred while engaging in recreational or social activities for the employee’s personal pleasure.
  • If your injuries were caused by pre-existing conditions. These are generally not covered when there has been no significant and identifiable aggravation in the course and scope of employment.
  • When an employee gets hurt in an accident on their work break. The only exception to this would be if the break is authorized by the employee’s supervisor and the injury occurs inside the employer’s facility.
  • If the mental injuries you sustained were a result of a crime of violence. In the event the physical injury you sustained left you with a mental injury, you should receive benefits for this injury.

[Source: State of Oklahoma Workers’ Compensation Commission].
If you have been denied benefits for your recent work accident and you need some legal advice, don’t hesitate to call upon one of our accident and injury attorneys in Edmond, Oklahoma today. You can browse through some of the local lawyers now or simply call us and we help to get you paired up with a professional in your area.