What am I required to do after being involved in an accident in Bend, Oregon?
Did you know that after being involved in an accident in Oregon that you have certain responsibilities you must fulfill? While some fender benders are worse than others, the state of Oregon has certain guidelines that state what types of actions need to be taken depending on the severity of an accident. What are these requirements you wonder?
Because our accident lawyers in Bend, Oregon want to be sure you are complying with statewide laws, below are some of the things drivers need to do within 72 hours of getting into an accident:

  1. File a report an Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report with the DMV. Is every driver that is involved in an accident required to file this? No, the only time a driver is required to file this report is if:
  • There was damage to any vehicle that is estimated to be over $1,500, even if your vehicle was the only one involved in the accident.
  • Any vehicle is towed from the scene of the accident.
  • An injury or death resulted from the accident.
  • The damage done to anyone’s property other than a vehicle involved in this accident is more than $1,500.

[Source: Oregon Driver & Motor Vehicle Services].
In the event the accident you were involved in caused damage that was less than $1,500 and there were no reported injuries or deaths, you can still file the report if the other party did not have insurance. Be sure to note on the accident report that your case doesn’t meet mandatory reporting criteria.
Also, if you are wanting to learn more about compensation and how you can recover funds for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering, our accident lawyers in Bend, OR are more than qualified to provide you with this information and much more

How do I fill out the Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report form?

You can start by downloading the form and printing it out. You can access it here now for your convenience. If you are having trouble accessing the form, you also have the option of picking one up at the following facilities:
Bend Police Department
710 NW Wall Street
Bend, Oregon 97703
Bend DMV
63085 N Hwy 97, Bldg. L, Suite 110
Bend OR 97703
Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office
63333 West Hwy. 20
Bend, Oregon 97703
After receiving your form and filling it out, be sure to keep a copy of yourself for your records. The DMV is not able to provide you with a copy so be sure to make one for yourself. You can then take your form to the local DMV office or mail it to the following address:
DMV – Accident Reporting Unit
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem OR 97314

What happens if I don’t file a report?

If you fail to submit the Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report yet your accident requires you to do so, the Oregon Driver & Motor Vehicle Services Department will suspend your license. To avoid this from happening, be sure to get your form filed within 72 hours.
Now, if you would like assistance in finding a local accident attorney in the city of Bend or one in a nearby area, USAttorneys.com is ready to take your call. Our agents will determine which lawyers are closest to you and help you get connected with them. Accidents are known to bring upon unfortunate circumstances, some in which you may not know how to handle. That is why our attorneys are here and ready to provide you with the support you and your family might be seeking.