How to file a work accident claim in Gresham, Oregon?
Although your employer is qualified to provide you with this information, this is a common question our accident lawyers in Gresham, OR are asked when they are approached by work accident victims who are in need of getting a claim filed.
Therefore, below is an explanation of what needs to be done in order for your work accident claim to be filed and you on your way to receiving the workers’ compensation benefits that could truly help you and your current situation.

  1. Notify your employer of the accident and the injuries you have sustained.
  2. Fill out Form 801 and give it to your employer. You can access Form 801 now by clicking here. This will take you to the Oregon Workers’ Compensation Division where the form can be downloaded.
  3. Our accident attorneys in Gresham, OR remind you to check with your employer after handing it in the ensure they provided it to their insurance company. Your employer has five days to turn this form in.
  4. When you go in for your doctor’s visit, be sure to mention that you’re in need of treatment for your work-related injury. You and your doctor should complete Form 827 and they are required to submit this form to your employer’s insurance company within three working days.

Some common work injuries that should be covered by your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance include:

  • Injured while operating heavy machinery.
  • Involved in an auto accident while on the job.
  • Hit by a falling object.
  • Diagnosed with an illness brought on by your work environment.
  • Slip and fall
  • Fall

Because insurance companies are constantly handling various types of claims, aside from those that pertain to a workers’ compensation case, they have a 60-day window from when they receive your Form 801 to either accept or deny the claim. If your claim is accepted, you should receive a Notice of Acceptance and this notice will list the medical conditions the insurer has recognized as payable conditions.
Now, if your claim was denied, which many sometimes are, the insurance company will send you a denial letter explaining their reasoning. Obviously if they deny it you are going to want to contact the insurance company or speak with your employer to gain a better understanding as to why your condition isn’t covered.

How do I handle having my workers’ compensation claim being denied?

Our accident attorneys in Gresham have had to take on several cases where workers were wrongfully denied benefits for their work injury. And once the lawyers were able to identify the mistake, the insurance company eventually had to go correct their error so the worker could continue receiving the medical care they needed or the compensation for the loss of wages during the time they had to spend out of work.
While our accident lawyers are more than capable of helping you with such an instance, you can first try and get the issue resolved by discussing it with your employer as well as the insurance agent who has been assigned to handle your claim. If for some reason they cannot find a resolution to the problem, we then suggest that you allow us to place you in touch with a reputable work accident lawyer in Gresham, OR who is qualified to help you.