Can a car accident victim get SSDI if they suffered a disabling injury in a collision in Chula Vista?

Pennsylvania – November 30, 2020

The State of Pennsylvania can suspend a driver’s license, or car registration when a person does not have the required insurance on a motor vehicle.  If a person is in an accident with someone who does not have insurance, they may have to seek legal counsel to sue the at-fault driver for personal injury, or property damages.

Pennsylvania minimum insurance coverage. 

  • Medical Benefits — Medical bills for accident victims and others are covered on an automobile policy, regardless of fault, with a minimum limit of $5,000.
  • Bodily Injury Liability — BIL coverage pays for medical and rehabilitation expenses and any damages for which drivers are found liable. The minimum limit is $15,000/ $30,000. The $15,000 pays for injuries to one person, and $30,000 is the maximum available for one accident.
  • Property Damage Liability — The minimum limit of property damage liability is $5,000 of coverage.

Uninsured motorist.

When the “at-fault” driver does not have insurance, the best way to recover for injuries and damages is to utilize “uninsured motorist” coverage, when it is available, but more formal actions may ensue if the coverage is not available.  A lawyer can build a case to try to collect compensation from the person who caused an accident, through a court judgment that may be problematic when the at-fault driver does not have much net worth.  An experienced car accident lawyer in Pennsylvania can explain accident victim’s rights and will know how to handle uninsured motorist cases.

Time to file. 

Pennsylvania’s statute of limitations gives an accident victim two years to file a lawsuit from the date the injury occurred, was, discovered, or should have been discovered through reasonable care. An accident attorney can apprise individuals of any deviations from that timeline.


Pennsylvania injury lawyers will build a strong case to prove negligence in court by sending investigators to the accident scene; reviewing police and medical reports; interviewing witnesses; hiring financial experts to make loss valuations; determining preliminary accident causes; and drafting and filing complicated insurance and legal documents.

Seek legal counsel.

Contact an experienced accident attorney for a consultation, as they can research specific case facts and interpret accident reports, and utilize state, and federal law to support a case’s best outcome toward the compensation of damages.  Scanlon & Wojton will fight for an accident victim’s rights to a positive case outcome, even when the at-fault driver did not have insurance required by Pennsylvania Law.

Scanlon & Wojton, Attorneys at Law

The Mitchell Building
304 Ross Street, Suite 510
Pittsburgh, Pa 15219

Phone:  (412) 918-1241

Fax: (412) 235-7275