In the blink of an eye, your entire life can change. One minute you might find yourself sitting in the back seat of an Uber vehicle heading to work or back home from a night out, and the next, you are lying in a hospital bed trying to figure out what just happened. It’s not farfetched for a collision involving an Uber vehicle to occur seeing that millions of motor vehicle accidents transpire each and every year in the U.S. In 2015 alone, more than 35,000 people were killed in automotive collisions and millions of others suffered minor to severe injuries, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The CDC also acknowledged that “motor vehicle crashes are a leading cause of death in the U.S.
While it is known that an accident can happen at any given time of day, or night, we tend to see more and more occurring around the holiday times, especially as we draw nearer to Christmas and New Year’s Eve. During the holidays, the roadways become much more congested than they normally would be as people are traveling on vacation, heading out to family gatherings and parties, and even rushing out for those last-minute gifts. It is during this time of year when drivers also become laxer and more careless and are willing to take the risk of getting behind the wheel drunk or drugged.
Now, based on the car accidents statistics we mentioned above coupled with the fact that the holiday times tend to be a much riskier time to be traveling on the road, there are a few things Uber accident lawyers want you to be aware of if you plan on requesting a ride from a ridesharing company at any point in the coming weeks.
- There are risks associated with getting into a vehicle that is being operated by someone other than yourself.
As convenient as Uber and Lyft have made it for people to get around, whether you need a ride to the grocery store to pick up some last-minute party supplies or you are looking for a reliable way to get home from a holiday party, there are risks associated with relying on someone else to get you to where you need to go.
While it is safer for you to get into a vehicle with someone who hasn’t consumed any amount of alcohol or drugs, you do need to remember that most of the collisions that transpire on our roadways occur as result of driver error. And let’s be honest, you have no idea how experienced and/or cautious of a driver you will have when you log in to the Uber app to schedule your ride. You could have someone who doesn’t take their job seriously or a motorist who isn’t looking out for the drunk and distracted drivers that will be occupying the roads this holiday season.
So, remember, while you are encouraged to have an alternate way of getting home if you plan on drinking over the holidays, just know there is always the chance that an accident can occur. Now, if you plan on traveling for Christmas or even New Year’s, yet you won’t be relying on a ridesharing company to get you to where you need to go, you are encouraged to read through the tips the accident lawyers at AA Accident Attorneys offer that are geared toward keeping you and your family safe when traveling this holiday season.
- If you are involved in an accident while being transported in an Uber vehicle, here is what you need to do.
In the event things take a turn for the worst while you are being transported in an Uber vehicle, the Uber accident lawyers at iAccident Lawyer recommend you follow these steps:
- Call the police. No matter how minor the accident might seem, you should always call the police so that they can come out, assess the scene, and dispatch any other agencies that might be needed. Aside from that, they will also write up a police report containing your statement which is something you will want to obtain a copy of for your records.
- Exchange information with all the parties that were involved. If the accident occurred between your Uber driver and another vehicle, be sure you take down your driver’s information along with that of the other driver. If they aren’t the owner of the vehicle, be sure to get the owner’s name and contact information. You will also want to write down their insurance information, contact info, and the make and model of their vehicle.
- Remain at the accident scene until the officer informs you that you can leave.
- Seek medical attention right away. Many individuals assume that the minor neck or back pain they are feeling is nothing serious, but this is often not the case. The reality is, there are many injuries that stay hidden and eventually reveal themselves after a few days when they have already gotten worse. Therefore, rideshare accident lawyers recommend you always seek medical care following the crash.
- Follow your doctor’s orders and keep any and all receipts for the medical services you had rendered. You will want to get reimbursed for those at a later date or have them paid to avoid from having debt accrue in your name.
- Refrain from accepting any checks from insurance companies. When an insurer provides an accident victim with a check, it generally serves as a settlement payment. And once you accept this payment, you forgo your chance of recovering more money even though your medical bills and other expenses may add up to more. Therefore, as desperate as you might be for the funds, avoid accepting a check until you have spoken with an experienced Uber accident lawyer in your city.
- Be sure to hire an accident lawyer who specializes in handling Uber or Lyft accident cases. The reason you will want to hire an attorney is because it may be difficult to decipher which party is liable or if there are multiple parties who are responsible for causing the accident. If this is the case, you may be able to recover money from various parties that will help cover medical expenses, lost wages, and more. This might include Uber as they do insure their drivers and/or either of the insurance companies of the motorists involved in the crash.
- Work closely with your attorney so that you are able to help you recover the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to for the injuries you sustained.
Uber accidents, unlike those that transpire between other motorists, can become complex matters that require the assistance of an accident lawyer in your area. In the event you need help locating an Uber accident attorney in your city who has extensive experience in handling these types of cases, contact USAttorneys.com. We can connect you with a professional who is qualified and capable of providing you with the legal aid you need.