Ninety-four percent of Texans use their seat belts.
Accident lawyer in Bastrop, Texas shares facts about seat belts and car accidents
Bastrop, TX- Traffic accidents are responsible for thousands of deaths each year in the U.S. On the road, there are safety features in cars that can prevent motorists from being in an accident, or reduce the severity of their injuries if they are in a crash. One of the least technological but most efficient safety features in automobiles is the seat belt and wearing one can save your life if in you are an accident. Here, USAttorneys’ legal team in Bastrop will discuss the risks of not wearing a seat belt and reasons why you should buckle up.
Facts about seat belt use
Failing to wear a seatbelt can have an impact on an injury claim and result in a reduced settlement.
Data from the Centers for Disease Control states that 53 percent to 59 percent of teens between the ages of 13-19 years and adults between the ages of 20-44 who were killed in auto accidents in 2014 were not buckled up at the time of their crash.
Seat belt use in Texas is higher than the national average. In Texas, seat belt use among motorists is 94 percent, higher than the nationwide average of 86 percent.
Men are more likely to drive unrestrained than women.
People living in rural areas are less likely to use their seat belts than people living in urban areas.
Six reasons you should wear your seat belt:
- It’s the law. Under Texas law, drivers and all passengers, even the ones sitting in the back, are required to wear a seat belt.
- Wearing a seat belt can reduce your chances of suffering a fatal injury in half, according to the CDC.
- A seatbelt will keep you from being ejected from your vehicle in a high impact or rollover crash.
- You won’t be thrown into the windshield if you are buckled up.
- Seat belts work in conjunction with you airbags to protect you in a crash. An air bag won’t be effective if you have twisted into the wrong position because you didn’t fasten your seat belt.
- You could get a smaller accident settlement if you weren’t restrained when a crash occurs.
How will not wearing a seat belt affect my injury claim?
If you were injured in a traffic accident and you weren’t wearing your seatbelt, the liable party can claim you were partly to blame for your injuries. An insurance company or opposing counsel can argue your injuries were worse because you weren’t properly restrained. Unless you have a solid counter argument, you can see significant reductions in your settlement amounts.
Whether you were wearing a seat belt or not, you will face challenges recovering a fair settlement for your accident. USAttorneys recommends you set up a consultation with an accident lawyer near you. If you live in Bastrop, Texas, we suggest you contact the Luke Dow law firm and set up a consultation. He has a track record of advocating for his clients and recovering fair settlements for his clients. You can reach injury lawyer Luke Dow’s office by calling 512-480-9502.
Accident victims in Bastrop, Texas should contact the Luke Dow Law Firm and set up a case evaluation.