Does Texas follow at-fault insurance laws?
The state of Texas follows what is called at-fault insurance laws. Unlike no-fault insurance law, there are fewer restrictions for you to pursue a lawsuit against a driver in an attempt to collect damages that have arisen from your accident. Car accidents and truck collisions can leave you and your family suffering from physical pain, emotional suffering, and even struggling financially. When this happens, who are you expected to turn to that can provide you with adequate compensation to cover all these newly acquired expenses? Your insurance company?
While insurance companies are expected to cover the damages that arise out of an accident, there are two types of damages you need to be aware of.

  1. Economic Damages- These include the costs for medical treatment, lost wages, property damage, and any other monetary expense that has arisen because of the accident. Economic damages are easier to estimate. All you need to do is total up all the accrued expenses, even ones such as future medical expenses, to get this number. Obviously, you would want to have a Bryan, Texas accident lawyer helping you do this to be sure you aren’t leaving anything out and that your numbers are all accurate.


  1. Non-Economic Damages– These include things like pain and suffering, loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment, and other damages that can’t exactly be “priced.” This is where an accident lawyer in Bryan, TX would be extremely beneficial as they can help you determine what each damage is worth as it can sometimes be a challenge to figure out just how much your pain and suffering is worth.

Now that you are aware of the several types of damages you may be entitled to collect, one of the biggest issues many accident victims face is that insurance companies don’t always want to provide you with the amounts you are actually entitled to. And that brings us to this next question that is commonly asked by individuals who have also been involved in a vehicular accident.

Am I able to sue a driver for damages after being involved in an accident?

Yes, the state of Texas does permit you to sue another driver to recoup the costs associated with your accident. A person would likely file a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver if their insurance company didn’t pay to cover all the damages they incurred. If you are looking to collect more compensation because your vehicle was totaled or more damage was done than your insurer wanted to acknowledge, you may be able to pursue a civil lawsuit for this as well.
Now, just because you decide to proceed with filing a personal injury lawsuit doesn’t always mean you are going to be awarded this amount. You need to be sure that you have a reliable and dedicated accident attorney in Bryan, Texas representing you. Our attorneys are familiar with the litigation process, can help you become more prepared for court, and will gather the necessary evidence to help support your case. If you are considering filing a lawsuit against a driver who hit you in Bryan, Texas or simply want more information on how you can collect the compensation that is owed to you, contact us now. An agent of ours will work with you to help you locate a nearby accident and injury attorney in your area.