This is how you can recover damages for a hit-and-run accident in Denver

Denver, CO – Westminster police took less than a week to identify the car involved in a fatal hit-and-run accident that took place on October 21, in the 7300 block of North Federal Boulevard. According to the police, a man who was walking down the street was killed after being hit by a Jeep. The driver stopped for just one second and then took off driving southbound on Federal Boulevard when he realized what happened. 

Shortly after the accident, Westminster Police made an announcement they were looking for a 2000’s maroon Jeep Liberty with heavy damage to the grill and passenger side front headlight. A few days later, Westminster Police found the car and its presumed driver, whose identity has not yet been released. 

Hit-and-run accidents, on the rise in Denver

According to statistics, hit-and-run accidents in Denver have increased exponentially over the past few years. While many hit-and-runs result in property damage only, 7% of such collisions cause severe injury or death. Two-thirds of hit-and-run victims in Colorado are pedestrians or cyclists. 

If a driver flees the scene of a minor hit-and-run, that is a misdemeanor. However, if the accident results in injury or death, the fleeing driver risks being charged with a felony, a crime carrying a mandatory prison sentence.

What to do if you’re involved in a hit-and-run

If you were injured in a hit-and-run accident, you must contact an experienced Denver accident lawyer as soon as possible. You’ll need all the help you can get to find the driver that hit you. Here’s what you must do:

  • Don’t try to chase the fleeing car, you may end up in another accident.
  • Call the police right away
  • Write down everything you remember about the car
  • Talk to witnesses and ask them what they recall about the car (make and model, color license plate, etc)
  • Check your car for possible paint fragments from the other car and look for glass pieces or broken parts that may have fallen off the vehicle
  • Reach out to seasoned Colorado accident lawyers and have them investigate. Your lawyers will start by checking the area for surveillance cameras that may have captured the accident.

How can you recover damages?

If the driver is identified, you can proceed with a personal injury or wrongful death claim against the guy’s insurance or you can sue them.

Unfortunately, many of the drivers fleeing the scene of an accident do not have insurance. That is precisely the reason they leave the scene – they know they cannot afford the financial consequences of their accident. 

Your accident lawyers will investigate the driver’s financial situation to decide whether it’s worth suing them. If that is not an option, you may still recover damages under your Uninsured/Underinsured coverage. 

The same applies if the hit-and-run driver is never found. If you have Uninsured Motorist coverage, your insurance company must compensate you for your losses. If they deny your claim or try to minimize the value of your damages, get a lawyer to negotiate with them. If they unjustifiably deny your claim, you may be able to sue them for bad faith.

If you were recently injured or lost someone in any type of accident caused by negligence, you should contact a knowledgeable lawyer at the Bryan&Terrill law firm to see how you can recover damages.

Contact info:

Bryan & Terrill

333 W. Hampden Ave., #420B

Englewood, CO 80110

(720) 923-2333