Car crashes and other types of vehicular accidents place us in unwanted positions we sometimes don’t know how to handle. One issue many accident victims experience is difficulty with their damage claim they submit to the insurance company, whether it be through your own or the at-fault party’s insurance carrier.
Insurance carriers aren’t always working to provide you with the best outcome and many will often deny insurance claims for various reasons. So, to help you if you are currently experiencing a similar issue, we address the following question:
What can I do if the insurance company denies my claim for the car accident I was involved in?
There are a few forms of action you can take. These include:

  1. Submitting a claim under your own policy if you have the appropriate coverages.
  2. File suit against the at-fault driver in small claims court if the damages you are claiming are worth $10,000 or less.
  3. Seek legal counsel from one of our accident attorneys in Ogden, Utah.

[Source: Utah Insurance Department].
Before deciding which route to take, it is best if you speak with an Ogden accident lawyer as they can provide you with the information you need to help you make an informed decision. And if you do decide to pursue a claim in small claims court, although the attorney can’t be there representing you, they are more than qualified to prep and prepare you for the hearing.

Filing a claim in small claims court in Ogden, UT

If you and your accident lawyer decide that it is best for you to file a claim through small claims court, you will file it at the courthouse located at:
310 26th Street
Ogden, UT 84401
For directions to the courthouse, simply click here.
You may also be required to print and file specific forms before taking your case to small claims court. You can click here now to access the Utah Courts site where all the downloadable forms are. This is also something you want to discuss with your accident lawyer in Ogden to be sure you are submitting all the necessary paperwork and not leaving anything out.
When filing a claim in small claims court, you are going to be subject to certain fees. The fees to file your claim in an Ogden small claims court are as follows:

  • For a claim that is worth $2,000 or less, the fee is $60.00.
  • A claim that is between $2,001 and $7,499, the fee is $100.00.
  • A claim that is between $7,500 and $10,00, the filing fee is $185.00.

While many cases can be resolved in small claims court, if you and your Ogden, Utah accident attorney have come to the conclusion that your claim is worth more than $10,000, then you may need to file suit in a district court where your attorney is able to represent you during the hearing. To find a local attorney in your city now, contact and an agent will assist you with this.