What should I do if I was involved in an accident in Suffolk, Virginia?
After engaging in an auto accident, you might be filled with fear, adrenaline, and possibly feeling some pain. While every accident is going to have a different outcome, there are certain things every Virginia driver should do after engaging in a crash. Below we highlight some of the most important things you are going to want to do if you recently engaged in a collision in the city of Suffolk.
- As common sense as it sounds, there are drivers who flee the scene of an accident because they feel they will be held accountable for causing serious damage. Many of these people are also at risk of other consequences as they might be driving on a suspended license or aren’t carrying the required insurance coverages. One thing to always remember, never leave the scene of an accident. You could be charged with a hit-and-run and will ultimately face much harsher consequences than what you would originally be given.
- Secure the scene. If you are at-risk of getting injured again, be sure to move to a safer place close by until police arrive on scene.
- Call the Suffolk Police Department and have an officer come out and assess the scene. Most officers will write up a report that not only includes pertinent details regarding the accident but also outlines who was at-fault for causing the accident. If the other driver was speeding, driving under the influence, or hit you from behind, this should be written in the police report and can help you when it comes time to collect compensation.
- Take Photos and Record Witness Statements. You are going to want to have photos that depict the accident scene and witness statements that highlight what happened. This can be used later on when your insurance company asks for proof of damage or your need support detailing that you weren’t at-fault for causing the accident.
- Exchange Information. If the other driver was responsible for causing the accident, then you want to be sure you have all their information including:
- Their name
- Insurance company and policy number
- Phone numbers
You will need this when it comes time to file a damage claim. For instance, if your bumper was dented and you want it replaced, you will need to file an accident claim through the other party’s insurance company so they can provide the necessary compensation for repairs to be rendered. You also want this information even if you were at-fault for causing the accident.
After all that is done, don’t forget to contact a local accident lawyer in Suffolk, Virginia. Sometimes, individuals involved in accidents aren’t aware of the fact that they can take legal action if their injuries are severe, life-threatening, or caused them to suffer from a disability. It is important that you have one of our accident lawyers in Suffolk assess the details of your matter to ensure it is being handled correctly by the insurance company and that you are receiving all the compensation you deserve. USAttorneys.com can place you in contact with a local accident attorney in Suffolk, Virginia now.