If you’ve been involved in an auto accident and are now experiencing pain in your lower back, you should seek medical attention right away so that your physician can assess your condition. You may have suffered a more serious injury in the wreck which could only worsen in severity if you neglect to see your doctor. Not only will your physician help determine how serious your injury is, but they can also provide you with a treatment plan so that you are able to work toward recovering.
Now, although your physician is the professional who can provide you with the best advice in terms of dealing with lower back pain, WebMD does offer five things you can do given your physician permits it that can help ease the pain you are now feeling. The truth is, it can be especially difficult to get anything accomplished when you are experiencing lower back pain which is why you are likely seeking tips on how you can relieve it.
According to WebMD, the five things you can do to relieve yourself from the back pain you might be feeling include:
- Consider finding a physical therapist. Not only can a therapist implement “techniques like electrical stimulation, ultrasound, heat, and muscle relaxation,” but they can also “help you get more mobile and flexible.” WebMD says that physical therapists “can also teach you exercises to do on your own to keep your symptoms from coming back.”
- Try to keep moving and stretching. If you just have a case of a sore back, it is important that you are careful in what form of physical activity you do as you wouldn’t want to injure yourself more or cause your pain to intensify. With that said, WebMD does say that “your chronic back pain will improve if you get moving” as “exercise keeps your muscles strong and prevents spasms.” The source goes on to explain that although exercise is supposed to be one of the best things you can do to relieve back pain, “it shouldn’t hurt or make the pain worse.”
- Consider manipulation or massage. Manipulation is generally used by chiropractors and it involves a few different techniques they apply to help “move your spine through its full range of motion.” Massage is also another method you can try as it relaxes the muscles. The source highlighted that one study revealed that individuals who received massages “saw improved symptoms within 10 weeks.”
- Try applying ice and heat. If your physician gives you to green light, WebMD says you can try “applying ice to your lower back at least three times a day—in the morning, after work or school, and then again before bedtime.” You don’t want to leave the ice on for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. If you find that the ice gives you relief, then you know it works for your current condition. You may also consider applying heat. The source says you can try to apply an electric heating pad to your lower back for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, but don’t fall asleep with it. It is also recommended that you keep the settings on low or medium, but not high.
- Try to keep a calm mind.“People who have chronic pain or trouble handling what life throws their way are almost three times more likely to have back pain than people who have neither. That means if you’re always anxious or expect the worst in every situation, you may be more likely to have the pain.” With that in mind, it is best you make every attempt to keep a calm mind and avoid allowing the stress to get to you.
Now, aside from tending to your physical needs, let’s discuss finances. Because most auto accidents lead to a victim having to seek medical care on a continual basis, it can become rather expensive to keep up with it. Perhaps you don’t have the best insurance coverage or you cannot afford to pay your copayment for each visit. If your car wreck has led to you not only struggling physically with lower back pain but also financially, you may be able to recover compensation from the other party if they were at fault for causing the accident.
To learn more about how you can do this, you will want to contact a Flagler Beach, FL accident attorney who is experienced and willing to dedicate the time it will take to help you recover a favorable amount. FL accident lawyer William B. White, Esq. is one of the best lawyers to seek help from as he has extensive experience in handling auto accident cases and is prepared to provide you with the legal assistance you might be needing.
William B. White, Esq., Attorney & Counselor at Law can be reached at:
712 S. Ocean Shore Blvd., Suite 105
Flagler Beach, FL 32136