Live Oak, Florida, Should a car accident victim retain a lawyer before speaking to the insurance company?

When a person is involved in an accident with another driver or an unoccupied vehicle, Mississippi Code §63-3-411 says they must remain at the scene if the accident resulted in injury to or death of any person, or property damage that is estimated to be worth $500 or more. The law also requires that the driver immediately give notice of the incident to the local authorities. This might be a police department, sheriff’s office, or a highway patrol station.

If a driver is uncertain as to whether injuries or damage was sustained as a result of an accident, it is recommended that they adhere to the law by remaining at the scene and contacting the local authorities.

If a person fails to remain at the scene of an accident they were involved in or caused, they could be convicted of a criminal offense. Mississippi Code §63-3-401 states that if a person leaves the scene of an accident that resulted in injury to any person, they could be punished by imprisonment for a period of at least 30 days or as long as one year. They may also be required to pay a fine of $100-$5,000. In the event the collision resulted in the death of another or the individual involved suffered a permanent disability or disfigurement and the driver fled the scene, they could be convicted for their actions or lack thereof, and faced with the following:


  • Having to serve a term of imprisonment that ranges from five years to 20 years
  • A fine of $1,000-$10,000


For those who flee the scene of an accident that resulted only in property damage, they shall be charged with a misdemeanor which also carries a jail term and/or fine.


What should a person do if they were involved in an accident with a driver who fled the scene in Jackson, MS?


When a driver has been involved in an accident with another motorist who failed to remain at the scene, they deserve to be awarded compensation for the impact the incident has had on them. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the incident, this might include compensation for pain and suffering, past and future medical bills, lost income, and more. In order for a car accident victim in Jackson, MS to recover the compensation they are due, they will need to either file a claim with the insurance company and/or file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver given he/she is identified.

Although a victim can do this on their own, they are encouraged to hire a Jackson, MS accident lawyer to help them as insurance companies are known for undervaluing or denying claims and the lawsuit process can be difficult to go through alone. For those who have been involved in a hit-and-run accident or a collision where the driver was later identified, they should contact Ballard Law, PLLC to discuss the incident with an experienced Jackson, MS accident attorney.


Ballard Law, PLLC can be reached at:


108 S. President Street

Jackson, MS 39201

Phone: 769-572-5111