What do I do if I get in a car accident in Wisconsin?
If you are involved in an auto accident in the state of Wisconsin, you are going to want to follow the steps provided below:

  • Try and stay calm. While adrenaline might be pumping through you seeing you just experienced something rather traumatic, staying calm is very important. You also will want to try and keep any passengers who were with you calm as well.
  • Check to see if you or anyone else is injured.
  • Call 911. If someone did sustain an injury, be sure to report this to the dispatcher so they can send out the appropriate agency who can tend to those suffering.
  • Wait at the scene until an officer arrives. Leaving the scene of an accident is considered a punishable crime and you could face time in jail or hefty fines and fees for doing so.
  • Exchange information with others involved in the accident. you will want to write down names, phone numbers, vehicle make and model, damages, injuries, and insurance information. This information will be helpful to you when dealing with your insurance company or that of the other party.


What if a police officer doesn’t file a report for the accident?

If for some reason a Green Bay police officer doesn’t file a report for the accident, and this does sometimes happen, you are required by law to file a Wisconsin Driver Report of Crash DT4002 if:

  • A person sustained an injury.
  • There was $1,000 or more of damage to any person’s vehicle or property.
  • There is $200 or more worth of damage done to state or other government-owned property other than a vehicle.

In some cases, you might be notified by the Department of Transportation that you were involved in a crash that needs to be reported and you may be asked to file the crash report.

How do I report a crash in the state of Wisconsin?

You are able to file your crash report directly online and can do so by clicking here. You will need the following information before beginning the report:

  • Driver license number
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Social security number
  • Vehicle insurance information

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation advises that you have this information handy as the application will time out after 30 minutes of inactivity. So, rather than having that happen in the event you have to look up or search for certain information, have it all ready prior to filling out the report.
Some other things our accident attorneys in Green Bay, Wisconsin believe you should be aware of include:

  • The crash you were involved in will appear on your driving record if the collision is a reportable one even if you weren’t at-fault.
  • If for some reason there is information on your driving record that doesn’t quite match up with what your insurance company has on file, be sure to contact your insurer for clarification.

Something else to consider after engaging in a car accident in Green Bay, WI is that you have the option to hire an accident lawyer to assist with the claims process. Sometimes, insurance companies don’t handle claims fairly or pay what the victim of the accident is truly entitled to. Our accident attorneys in Green Bay, WI can help settle any discrepancy you might have or represent you in court if the other driver is attempting to sue you.
USAttorneys.com is available to help you locate an attorney in your area now and will do so free of charge.